Treadle pump pressure model
There are also suction only models
Treadle pump suction Model
A Treadle pump is a pump with two cylinders and powered by pedals
Advantages compared to Rope Pumps
- – 30 to 40% more pump volume with the same lifting height (legs have more power than an arm)
- – Easier to install and repair
- – The pressure model can lift water to an elevated tank or can be used for sprinkler irrigation.
Disadvantages compared to Rope Pumps
- – Is a suction pump so can only lift water from maximum 7 meters deep
- – Some people prefer a turning movement for pumping to an a up and down movement
- – Pedalling with legs is not fit for women in some cultures.
- – More complicated to produce
- Treadle pumps can pump from rivers, lakes or wells of 0 to 7 meters deep
- Pump capacity; 0 – 10m lift 50 l/min, 10 – 20m lift 30 l/min
- Cost : 120 – 140 US$ including suction hose
- Producers: Sold in farm stores in Tanzania, Malawi .