PUR is used for turbid water It is a flocculant disinfectant
Klorin/ Waterguard/Wa-ufa is a liquid just for disinfection
A lady using liquid Chlorine
With Self-supply water sources it is strongly advised to use some kind of Household Water Treatment.
Advantages compared to not using treatment
- – Hard to predict if water from a Self-supply source is safe to drink.
- – With treatment of a good WHO recommended treatment product water is safe to drink.
- – By treating no need to test the water quality
- – By treating the water Self-supply will be more acceptable, easier to support by Governments and NGOs
Disadvantages compared to not using a treatment
- – Although cheap, treatment cost money
- – Options like PUR, WaterGuard, Wa Ufa require discipline of treating every day. If there is no consistent use, a treatment does not have health effects.
This is the simplest and most safe way of treatment but has its disadvantages like cost of fuel and indoor pollution
A low cost option is filtering through a double cloth which can reduce bacteria with 90%.
- Chlorine eliminates Bacteria and viruses but does not kill Cryptosporidium
- Cryptosporidium is a major cause for Child mortality ( SIE 2011)
- Cost; PUR ca 1 US$/ 20 litres. on yearly base this is 10-20 US$ / family
- Cost; Water guard, Wa-ufa; ca 3 US$ for 600 Litres, Yearly 01.5- 3 US/ family
- Producers: Local stores, pharmacies