Water taken out of a hand dug well with a rope and rubber bucket
The well covered with a sheet
The most simple way of lifting water from a well is a rope and a bucket or other container like a tyre.
Advantages compared to a pump
- – Much cheaper
- – Simple to use
- – Easy maintenance, Bucket and Rope need frequent replacement
- – Can adjust with water level changes
Disadvantages compared to a pump
- – To use a bucket the well has to be open so dirt, or even children can fall into the well.
- – A bucket and rope can contaminate the water in the well, because of dirty hands, mud on the bucket etc.
- – The movement of a bucket may cause turbidity in the well water
- – Speed of extracting water in general is less than with a pump
- – More heavy work, (women Children)
- Rope and bucket can be used in any well depth
- Cost depends on type of rope , well depth and type of bucket
- Cost indication for a 10 m deep well: 10 – 30 US$