(ABOVE) Using a Soil punch to make a hole until the water level. The pipe of the punch can be made longer with smaller ( light weight) pipes so total length can be 8 meters (BELOW) Emptying the Soil punch. The Soil punch consist of a 2 inch pipe with a slot in the length and hard steel teeth. A hole can be made until the water level.
When reaching the water layer, the punch does not lift the wet sand anymore. Than a PVC casing is put into the hole and Tube bailer is used to make the hole deeper and lower the PVC pipe / filter screen
Sand and gravel removed by the Tube bailer
In softer soils with water levels of 8 meter or less a tube well can also be made with a the Mzuzu drill using a Soil punch and bailer.
Advantages compared to SHIPO drilling
- – Is much cheaper
- – Less tools and skills needed
- – Easier to see the soil coming out
Disadvantages compared SHIPO drilling
- – Can not go as deep
- – More difficult in hard soils less percussion force
- With a soil punch and tube bailer , tube well can be made in areas with soft , sandy soils
- With a bailer on a tube, sand is pumped out and the PVC pipe (screen) goes down.
- Cost depends on soil type, length of screen and diameter of casing
- Cost indication for a 6 m deep tube well. 3 inch casing: 50 – 200 US$ (excl.pump)
- Cost indication complete system( 6 m deep well. 3 inch casing, concrete cover, Rope pump model 2: 150 – 350 US$
- Producers; Information SMART Centre Malawi