Engine pump pumping from a river and filling up a Wire- Brick cement tank.
Engine pump 2 inch outlet used for irrigation.
A “walk in” well.
When water levels are deeper than 5 to 7 meters the pump can be lowered. In this case the pump is installed in a dug canal of 4 meters deep.
There is a wide range of electric or engine pumps. Engine pumps are Mostly used for irrigation; electric pumps more for domestic use.
Advantages compared to hand pumps
- – Much more pump volume
- – Can pump up to elevated water tanks
- – Has a high pressure and can be used for sprinklers and elevated storage
Disadvantages compared to hand pumps
- – Much more expensive
- – Needs daily investment gasoline or diesel
- – More complicated use, maintenance
- – Engine pumps are suction pumps so can only lift water from maximum 7 meters deep in Tube wells. ( in open hand dug wells pumps can be lowered , see lower Photo)
- Electric or engine pumps can pump from rivers, lakes or wells of 0 to 7 meters deep
- In hand dug open wells, pumps can be lowered so depths where suction pumps can be uses can be 10 meters or more
- Pump capacity; 2 – 10 cubic meters / hour
- Cost : 150 – 350 US$
- Sales: Sold in farm stores in all Countries